Living Memorials–My Tribute to the Victims of 9/11
I don’t believe in those roadside memorials you see dotting the roads and highways throughout our country. Sorry. I don’t even believe in our country spending one more penny on another huge statue, another long wall of names, another cascading concrete fountain.
My suggestions below would beautify an area, add shade, help reduce carbon dioxide from the air, serve as windbreaks, would be therapeutic to view and to maintain:
- huge flower pots with the deceased’s name on an engraved metal tag
- trees with engraved metal tags
- zen gardens with benches on which one could sit and reflect
- hedged garden rooms with benches
- rooftop gardens and living roofs that can be seen from the air
- fields of flowers
Plants are healing and beneficial in many, many ways. My tribute to the deceased, to the victims of 9/11 would benefit the living.
©Teresita Abad Doebley All rights reserved 2009-2011.
Quote of the Day for YOU: The poetry of the earth is never dead. ~John Keats