Orange Desert Mallow
I found this pretty flower on the side of a hill, and I inched down carefully to get a shot. During our week-long stay in Nevada, it’s the only time I encountered this vibrant, desert perennial.
- Exposure: full sun
- Water: natural rainfall; supplemental water will increasing flowering
- Soil: tolerant, good drainage
- Propagation: easy by seed; tricky by vegetative cuttings, best results from first flush of new spring growth
- Maintenance: low, periodically cut back to keep vegetative look
- Form: loose, shrubby, herbaceous perennial; stems form open vase
- Seasonality: perennial
- Size: 3ft, spread with age to 2-3ft
© Teresita Abad Doebley. All rights reserved 2009-2011.
Quote of the Day for YOU: “Look at you, you madman! Screaming and thirsty you are dying in the desert , when all around you there is nothing but water!” ~Kabir